The board determined at our AGM that we had enough reason to table the motion of the election of officers and directors to be able to fully engage parent members in the recruitment and voting process.Please read the important information below in this Special General Meeting notification.
DATE, LOCATION, TIME & PURPOSE OF THE SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
- Thursday, September 14th, 2023
- 6:30pm-7:00pm registration
- 7:00pm-8:00pm formal meeting and election
- 8:00-8:30pm social reception to connect with theBoard
- Blackfoot Inn, Heritage Room
- There might be a virtual feed, however, voting will only be enabled for those in person
- Links will be sent in the coming weeks for members to use should they want to attend
The primary purpose of the SGM is for the election of the board, however, due to technical difficulties, many parents could not attend the virtual AGM nor vote, so we will be offering an update on the operations of the league.
The Special General Meeting (SGM) Agenda will include: President's report, financial report, director reports, technical director report, election of officers and board directors, and player and volunteer recognition.
Members include up to 2 Parents/Guardians per player family, and additional league volunteers, coaches and supporters who are recognized by the Board as Members. Each Member has a vote and opportunity to run for a position on the volunteer board. Proxy votes and advanced ballots are not allowed, per the bylaws. The following is a description of a Member from our bylaws:
Article 2: The following individuals shall be members of the Association:
- (a) the parent or parents of a registered player, provided that a maximum of two individuals shall be deemed to be members in respect of each registered player;
- (b) registered players;
- (c) directors;
- (d) coaches, managers, and other officials of athletic teams affiliated with the Association as selected and approved by the Board of Directors for the playing year; and
- (e) honorary life members.
Your voice and vote matter! Please join us as a voting member, player, or nominee - we'd love to see you there!
~NOMINATION PROCESS ~
NOMINATIONS ARE DUE IN WRITING BY SEPTEMBER 6TH
Members can nominate themselves or others (provided the other member accepts the nomination).
The board has established a Nomination Committee of three people, consisting of two current board members and one current member not running for a position on the board.
If you wish to run for a position on the board, and have not yet notified anyone from the team in writing, please email Janice Hines at email@example.com She will share your information with the Nomination Committee.
The nomination committee will be reaching out to all returning and new nominees for a phone conversation before submitting the final list of nominees to the membership for voting on. That list will be shared with Members via email in advance of the SGM.
We will not be accepting nominations from the floor of the SGM so as to allow for due diligence and a transparent process in presenting a list of qualified candidates to the Members.
The Board supports the following priorities of Babe Ruth Calgary:
- The league mission, vision and values (learn more here: https://baberuthcalgary.teamsnapsites.com/about-us/ )
- The league’s fiduciary, financial and governance responsibilities, Babe Ruth charter obligations, compliance with The Societies Act, and the league's charitable objects
- Recruiting and retaining dedicated and skilled players, volunteers, and partners
- Building an even stronger program each year for player and coach development
- Providing a safe and inclusive space to our Members and baseball community
~BOARD STRUCTURE, POSITIONS, INCUMBENTS & CANDIDATES TO DATE~
All positions on the Board are re-elected at the AGM (or at the SGM, in this year's case). Those running for re-election are listed below and we will be recognizing our retiring Board Directors at the SGM.
Those who have already made it known they are interested in joining the board have been reached out to by the nomination committee before their names were added to the slate.
If you are interested in running for any of the below positions, please follow the nomination process outlined above and your name will be added to the slate of nominees that will be shared with the voting members.
Officers & Directors Elected Individually by the Members and Status of nominations (incumbents are indicated with a * and new candidates are indicated with a +)
* Running for Re-Election, Jason Mikalishen
+ Running for President, Ryan de Klerk
* Running for Re-Election, Darrin Ambrose
* Running for Re-Election, Jeff Burke
Director, Marketing, PR, Social Media
* Running for Re-Election, Hilda Siemens
Director, Secretary & Team Administrators
* no incumbent
+ Running for Director, Secretary & Team Administrators, Wendy Polley
Director, Special Events & Travel Teams
* no incumbent
+ Running for Director, Special Events & Travel Teams, Brent Beebe
Coordinators, Volunteers, Coaches and Technical Directors
Not all roles are elected board members. They report to the Board of Directors, have a role description, and are often invited to operational board meetings. They do not have votes on Board motions. The number and type of roles can be adjusted by the Board at any time to match the needs of the league. Only the elected directors and officers listed above make up the Babe Ruth Calgary Board.
The Board of Directors are elected for a one (1) year term between Annual General Meetings. Should a Director be elected between AGMs, the Director’s term will still end at the next AGM. All elected Board Members have voting rights in Board Meetings.
If you have an interest to be on the board, we welcome you to reach out to those of us on the Board: https://baberuthcalgary.teamsnapsites.com/contact-us-2/
Stay well as you enjoy the end of summer holidays!
Babe Ruth Calgary